Monday, August 22, 2011

Give It The Slip

Now that I have a baby I am loving a slipcover more than ever.  Not only can it give a room with mismatched furniture an effortless and inexpensive look of unity, but also functionality! I have a white couch...yes, I said "WHITE"... hold your gasps! With a dog, baby, and husband (and, okay, me too...I eat chocolate chip cookies on the couch...guilty!), I wash the slipcovers probably once every couple of weeks (sometimes more often).  A little Tide, one scoop of Oxiclean, and a cap of bleach later, they are good as new.




Check out these slipcover variations.  I love the knife pleat on the first, and am drooling over the monogram on the chairs!


slipcovers 


slipcovers!


I also love how relaxed and inviting a room looks with a slipcovered couch and/or chairs.  Makes you want to kick off your shoes and stay a spell. 



In case you are wondering, my slipcovered couch is a great steal! It is the Ikea Ektorp, priced at $399!  I wasn't sure of the quality upon purchase, but I have been pleasantly surprised! Our little couch is going on 3 years old (with the original slipcovers) and still looks pretty great! 


EKTORP Sofa, Blekinge white Width: 85 7/8 " Depth: 34 5/8 " Height: 34 5/8 " Seat depth: 19 5/8 " Seat height: 17 3/4 "  Width: 218 cm Depth: 88 cm Height: 88 cm Seat depth: 50 cm Seat height: 45 cm


I am thinking of purchasing two of the adorable club chairs to go with the couch.  Cute, huh!? You can purchase the matching chairs for a mere $199 apiece!


EKTORP JENNYLUND Chair, Blekinge white Width: 30 3/4 " Depth: 33 1/2 " Height: 33 1/8 " Seat width: 18 7/8 " Seat depth: 21 5/8 " Seat height: 16 7/8 "  Width: 78 cm Depth: 85 cm Height: 84 cm Seat width: 48 cm Seat depth: 55 cm Seat height: 43 cm



Slipcovers are also a great way to mask unattractive fabrics.  Check out this little bench.  I'm sure you remember it from my Couture Collection.  I purchased it from Craigslist because it had such pretty legs! No cat calls, please!






However, it had a little unfortunate checked fabric covering the cushion.  A perfect opportunity for a slipcover! 






I had this one made from cotton duck cloth ($4 a yard) and a little white ruffle ($3.50 a yard).  The ruffle gave the effect of a knife pleat that I like so much without the extra cost and labor.  The end result...an adorable bench that you can actually prop your feet on without any worries. 






I also used a slipcover for an unattractive table that holds the TV in our bedroom.  I could have painted the table, because it is actually kinda cute...but...I had a bigger problem.  Do you see what I do? WIRES!! Yuck!! 


BEFORE


One of my decorating pet peeves is wires, plugs, and outlets hanging out for the world to see.  I prefer them tucked out of sight and mind.  So, the answer?  Yep, you got it...a slipcover!  I used a little of my go-to fabric these days - burlap ($5 a yard) and had this little table skirt made for $40.  Instant texture to the room and bye-bye to the ugly table and the wires too!






AFTER

I pointed out in pink (of course) the one outlet and wire I could not mask.  Boo! Sometimes it is just about impossible to hide all outlets and wires, so my suggestion is a light colored or clear cord.  It camouflages itself a bit better.  Still an improvement from before! 

No comments:

Post a Comment